Pine Nuts Health Benefits
The Advantage of Pine Nuts Health Benefits for Body
Pine nuts are the seeds of edible pine and comes from a family Pinaceae, genus Pinus, and there are about 20 species of pine seeds that have pine’s size large enough with the crunchy and delicious taste, so worthy to be harvested. Besides called pine nuts, nuts of this type has several different name that is also frequently used such cedar nuts, pinyon pine nuts, pinon nuts, chilgoza, pignoli, and so on. And because many contain the nutrients of pine nuts, then there are many pine nuts health benefits for the human body
Pine tree is a tree that grows perpendicular to the dense leaves like umbrellas, and a large trunk that the height can reach 75 feet. Pine trees grow in cold regions, and spread in many countries such as Korea, the Himalayas, Siberia, Canada, Switzerland, North American, and so on. Korean pine is located in northeast Asia, and this pine is the most important pine species in international trade which is then followed by the type chilgoza pine from western Himalayas.
The pine’s flowers develop into pine cone in which cone pine women take 2 to 3 years to mature after pollination. Each spiral cone has many scales, and on the due date of this cone will usually be open to release seeds. And every pine cone scale containing 2 seeds, pine seed is protected by a hard shell beans or brown and stored inside the cone. This shell must be removed first so that the pine nut can be removed and eaten. And pine nuts are properly stored in temperature and dry temperatures to about-5C up to 2C will be able to survive long enough, whereas if stored in humid and hot conditions, then the pine nuts are fast becoming damaged and rancid in a few weeks or trap in the several days, and since it is necessary to save the pine nut for the good place, and cold temperature, or may be frozen so that pine nuts can last a long time and people can still get pine nuts health benefits from the nutrients contained therein.
Pine Nuts Nutrition
Based on data from USDA national nutrient database, then there are many types of nutrients contained in the pine nuts, among other nutrients it is A
Energy, Carbohydrates, Protein, fat, fiber, Dietary, Vitamins A, B complex, C, E, Electrolytes, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium,
Manganese, Phosphorus, Selenium, Zinc, Phyto-nutrients, ß-carotene, ß-Crypto-xanthin, and lutein-zeaxanthin.
Pine Nuts Health Benefits
Pine nuts have been consumed in Asia and Europe since the Paleolithic. This pine nut is consumed by adding nuts to other foods such as salads, vegetables, fish, and meat, and there are also adding to coffee as the pine nut coffee like in New Mexico, USA. While in the Middle East pine nuts are widely used in various food dishes such as sambusek, kibbeh, and baklava. For the body health, you can take the pine nuts health benefits because of the wide range of nutrients in pine nuts, and below are a few pine nuts health benefits for the human body
– Pine nuts contain mono-unsaturated fatty acids is high enough such as oleic acid are useful to help lower bad cholesterol or LDL and increasing good cholesterol or HDL in the blood, so it can minimize the possibility of stroke or coronary artery disease.
– Pinolenic acid content in pine or cedar nut beneficial for people who want to lose weight, because based on the results of this study useful pinolenic acid also increases energy and suppresses appetite by triggering hunger glucagon-like peptide-1 and cholecystokinin in the intestinal enzyme. Pinolenic acid also has properties to lower LDL or bad cholesterol in the body.
– Content of Vitamin C, and E in the pine nuts are a source of antioxidants for body in counteracting free radical so the body is stronger in the face various kinds of diseases
– Pine nut is one of the nuts that do not contain gluten, and therefore this pine nuts are popular ingredient in the preparation of formula foods free of gluten, and this is appropriate for people who have allergies to wheat and have celiac disease.
– Content of Vitamin B complex such as pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, folates, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin which is in the pine nuts provide pine nut health benefits for the body as vitamin B complex is useful as a co factor for the enzyme substrate takes place during the process of cellular metabolism
– Pine nut health benefits derived from other minerals contained in the pine nuts, such as manganese is useful as a co factor for superoxide dismutase and antioxidant compounds that help the body to be more robust against attacks of various diseases.
– Pine nut oil has a sweet aroma, taste is soft, and has been used as the base oil in cooking food, as part of traditional medicine in aromatherapy in the cosmetics and pharmaceutical industry. Pine nut oil is beneficial for maintaining healthy skin, protect skin from dryness.
From the information above it appears there are many pine nuts health benefits to be gained for the human body, and if you’ve never tried nut pines, and want to implement a healthy lifestyle, then the pine nuts can be an alternative healthy foods to consume regularly.