Nigella Sativa Nutrition and Benefits
Nigella Sativa Linn is a herb of the family ranunculaceae and genus nigella. Nigella sativa is the spice in form of black grains that have been recognized for a long time ago as medicinal plants to handle several diseases in the several communities such as in Middle East, Pakistan, and India.
Nigella sativa is an herb that comes from southwest Asia, south Asia. Nigella sativa is annual flowering and grows to the height of about 20 cm to 30 cm. Nigella sativa has linear leaves, delicate flowers and white or blue petals premises about 5 to 10 petals. Nigella sativa-shaped fruit of a large capsule consists of 3 to 7 follicles together and each one contains nigella sativa seeds.
In a lot of countries in the world nigella sativa seeds have many different nicknames such as nutmeg flower, fennel flower, black cumin, Roman coriander, Krishna Jeerige, jintan hitam, kaljeera, kalonji, kalo jira, black seed, seed natural, Black Caraway, black cumin, karim jeerakam, mangrail, habbat al-barakah, chernushka, and so forth. Nigella sativa is foul-smelling and has a bitter taste and has been used in a wide range of food products for example liquor beverages, confectionery, majdoulim, and Armenia cheese.
Nigella sativa many recorded in ancient literature such as research on treatment of Ibnu Sina is well-known researcher of Middle East in field of medication who lived 980 to 1037 M had examined the benefits of nigella sativa for the treatment and health. Other physicians of ancient Greece is Dioscoredes who lived in the 1st century AD had as well noted benefits of nigella sativa to cover respiratory tract and headaches .
Nigella sativa nutrition
Efficacy nigella sativa caused a variety of nutrients contained in this plant which include carbohydrate, Dietary Fiber, Fats, Omega-3 fatty acids, Omega-6 fatty acids, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C, Calcium , Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, and Zinc, Copper, Manganese, and Selenium.
Nigella sativa benefits
There are a wide range of health benefits nigella sativa for the human body that has been utilized since ancient times to the present, and some nigella sativa benefits are as follows:
– Research has been done by El-Dakhakhny and Mahfouz of Egypt in 1959 which aims to determine what compounds are in the herbal, and the outcomes of these analyses have concluded that nigella sativa content at least 2 crucial factors in the nigella sativa, nigellone and thymoquinone.
– Nigellone is an effective agent for preventing dilate respiratory tract and occurrence of muscle spasms, and Nigellone also is an antihistamine that helps to overcome the diverse problems caused by allergic reaction. Thymoquinone while useful as an anti-pain and anti-inflammatory. This compound is an antioxidant that helps take away toxins effectively from the body.
– The results of other reports have as well concluded that the anti-microbial nigella sativa, to be useful to kill the worms that are in digestive tract and other studies concluded that thymoquinone and nigellone in black seed is useful as anti-leukemia. While other studies have shown that both these compounds are useful for treating various respiratory disease such bronchial asthma, chronic cough, and bronchitis and helps to enhance the immune system.
– Based on some research has been conducted as the research of Prof. G Reitmuller from Munich University, the research team of Dr. Basil Ali from King Faisal University in Saudi Arabia, and different research reports that seed can block the growing of tumor cells.
– The content of omega-3 fatty acid and omega-6 fatty acid in nigella sativa useful to improve intelligence, memory, intelligence, brain cells that relativity is not senile, also helps better blood circulation to the human brain.
– Compounds sapion in black cumin is useful as a corticosteroid that can affect protein, carbohydrate, and fat, and also affect the kidneys, heart, nerves, and muscles of the body. Sapion also useful to carry breast milk, relieve stress, sleep disorders, and maintain against environmental changes.
Effect experienced by people taking black cumin is different, many people didn’t have experience bad effect to their body, but there were also people who had a healing effect of the removing toxins process from the body, they were not as convenient since consume nigella sativa such as emotional disturbances, itching for sufferers people who have asthma or allergy, acne or vaginal discharge in women, frequent urination, diarrhea, lethargy, bloating, and so forth. This healing effect and usually ends around 2 to 3 days but it depends on the durability and condition of body and the types of diseases that have
Now there are different forms of nigella sativa that sell in the market such as nigella sativa seeds, nigella sativa oil, nigella sativa pills, and other form, and if you want to consume the black seed products, it is recommend to consume on an empty stomach about ½ hour before a meal, but for people suffering from ulcer are advised to consume nigella sativa approximately 2 hours after eating this is done so that the body will get the most result from taking nigella sativa.