Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes for Human Body
Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is derived from vegetable families Convolvulaceae and the genus Ipomoea. Sweet potatoes are often eaten is part of the tuberous roots with relatively large size, and mealy with a sweet taste.
In addition for consumption sweet potatoes vegetable can also be beneficial to human health due to a variety of nutrients in sweet potatoes thus providing health benefits of sweet potatoes if these healthy foods regularly consumed.
There are many species of sweet potato over 1000 pcs consisting of a variety of different colors like yellow, red, purple, orange, brown, beige. Sweet potatoes have a smooth meat well with different colors too like yellow, red, pink, purple, orange, and white. Sweet potato has flesh-colored pink, red, and orange is sweeter than the flesh white and pale yellow. The coloring of sweet potatoes such red, and orange color is due to the high content of beta carotene inside this food.
Sweet potatoes grow well in a warm place; have enough sunlight to 24 C temperature and rainfall as well. Sweet potatoes will have bulbs after planting about 2 to 9 months. Vegetable and sweet potato is sensitive to standing water, because it can lead to impaired growth and lead to rot on the tubers of sweet potato.
Sweet potatoes are consumed by many people in many countries around the world and are also used as food for pets, and now China is the largest producer of sweet potatoes that supply be approximately 80% of the world’s sweet potato, followed by the State of Uganda, Nigeria, Indonesia, Tanzania, Vietnam, India, and Japan.
Sweet Potatoes Nutrition
There are various different types of nutrients found in sweet potatoes, among others, are
Carbohydrates, Starch, Sugar, Dietary fiber, Fat, Protein, Vitamin A, Beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Foliate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, and Zinc.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
With a wide range of nutrients found in sweet potatoes then there are many health benefits of sweet potatoes for the human body, among others, are as follows.
• The content of vitamin A, beta carotene and carotenoids in your body is beneficial to improve eye health, and immune for several diseases because it can be beneficial as an antioxidant for the body to minimize diseases such as cancer and premature aging.
• Carotenoids within the sweet potatoes provide benefits also to stabilize blood sugar grades and bring down insulin resistance, helping the cells become more antiphonal to insulin.
• The content of vitamin B6 in sweet potatoes has health benefits of sweet potatoes that are useful to cut down chemical homocysteine in the body associated with degenerative diseases, including for preventing heart disease.
• The content of vitamin C in sweet potatoes as a beneficial antioxidant and beneficial for the body to enhance immune to various types of diseases like flue, colds, cancer, etc. Vitamin C has an important role too in the formation of teeth, bones, and blood cell formation. This vitamin also aids speed up wound healing, collagen production which helps maintain the elasticity of youthful skin, and cope with stress.
• The content of vitamin D in the sweet potatoes beneficial for the immune system, mood, has a crucial role in body energy, help build bone, heart, skin, nerves, teeth, help the thyroid gland, and helps your overall health.
• The content of iron in sweet potato is useful for providing adequate energy, the production of red and white blood cells, the immune system, the level of resistance to stress, and protein metabolism.
• The content of magnesium to give health benefits of sweet potatoes as a compound of anti-stress and relaxation, and also beneficial for healthy arteries of the heart, blood, nerve function, bone, and muscle.
• The content of potassium provide health benefits of sweet potatoes as one of the authoritative electrolyte that helps regularize heartbeat and nerve signs. While the content of potassium important role to control and protect the kidneys, reduce swelling, and muscle contraction
• The fiber content in sweet potato with other minerals such as magnesium provide sweet potato health benefit which helps digestion process work better, while the starch is the health benefits of sweet potatoes which gives soothing effect to the intestines and stomach.
There are many health benefits of sweet potatoes for the body as above, but not all types of sweet potatoes provides health care for the body, as there are types of sweet potatoes that contain toxins that can not be consumed, and therefore if you want to eat sweet potatoes, try to buy at the grocery outlet, supermarket, or other official place that sell products for human needs.