Bok Choy Nutrition
Health Benefits of Bok Choy Nutrition for Human Body
Bok choi (Brassica campestris L) is a leafy Chinese cabbage included in the brassica family. Bok choy is one of the popular vegetable in China, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan, Philippine, and other Asian countries where these vegetables are consumed as a vegetable but also one of the healthy foods that are good for human health because of the various kinds of bok choy nutrition contained therein.
Bok choy is also called by several different names such as pak choi, white celery mustard, pet say, pe-tsai, Chinese white cabbage, spoon cabbage, hangul, and others. Bok choy is a crop plant such as mustard and a small vegetable that grows upright with dark green leaves and stems are cylindrical.
To get the most out of bok choi, then every time purchasing bok choi, you should choose bok choy with a fresh green leaf and the stem leaves that look sturdy, and if the bok choy have not eaten directly, then save the bok choy in the refrigerator with cool temperature and humidity is relatively high thet bok choy can last up to 3 to 4 days.
Bok Choy Nutrition
There are various kinds of nutrients contained in the bok choy that provide health benefits to the human body include, and bok choy nutrition among others are Carbohydrates, Proteins, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, B complex, C, K, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, and Zinc .
Bok Choy Health Benefits
In general, Bok choy or Chinese cabbage is eaten in a variety of menu items such as eat fresh bok choy, mixed salads, sandwiches, fry a vegetable, or mixed with other food ingredients such as cooked with beef, or a mixture of materials for making pickles, and so on. And because of the many bok choy nutrients, so Bok choi also provide many benefits for the human body, and some healt benefit of bok choy are as follows:
– The content of calcium in the bok choi is very beneficial to the growth and development for children who were aged under 5 years
– High content of vitamin A, beta carotene, flavonoids and polyphenols in useful as anti-oxidants for the body and is also beneficial for eye health.
– The content of vitamin C, and other bok choy nutrition, such as isothiocyanates, sulfopraphane, zeaxanthin, lutein, thiocyanate contained in bok choy is one source of antioxidants that help to increase the power of the body so not susceptible to various diseases.
– The content of vitamin K in the bok choy is useful in the process of bone metabolism, and osteotrophic by increasing the activity in the cells of the bone so that builders become more powerful. Vitamin K is useful also to minimize damage to the nerves in the brain that helps healing process for people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
– Mineral as other bok choy nutrition provide a wide range of health care for the human body such as potassium beneficial to control blood pressure and heart rate. Iron is useful in the process of blood cell formation; manganese is useful as a co factor in antioxidant enzyme dismutase.
Although there are many health benefits of bok choy because of variations bok choy nutrition inside, but do not eat too much bok choy, pak choi contain goitrogens which if consumed in large doses can cause swelling of the thyroid gland and cause thyroid disease, especially for people suffering from thyroid dysfunction . And for people who have problems with the digestive system is also not advisable to eat bok choy because it can cause headaches and nausea in the body.